If you are using a flight search engine to find an airfare, the following "rules of thumb" may help you identify the cheapest flights:
- Early morning/late night flights will often cost you less (don't exclude these from your search).
- Enter dates for cheap days of the week. Tuesdays and Wednesdays tend to be cheapest. I’ve also been advised that Saturdays can be cheap.
- Be flexible with your airports, it may be cheaper to fly from a neighbouring airport, rather than your first choice. Ideally, the site you use should at least have the option to include all airports for a major city, such as New York, in your search.
- Carrier pricing policy usually means that booking early is cheaper than booking late. It is now very difficult to get a late booking bargain on a scheduled flight.
- However, if you are flexible on where and when you travel, you can still bag a bargain booking late. More in my next post.